Since its formation in 2010, Hi-Crush has endeavored to be a great corporate citizen. Our values guide everything we do. From the design and operation of mines in Wisconsin and Texas, to how we deliver products to the wellsite using our Propstream® proppant logistics solution, we are constantly looking for ways to ensure the protection and promotion of human health, safety and quality of life. In this regard, we don’t just think of our employees, but also the people in the communities where we live and operate. Our policies and actions help make those communities stronger by enhancing the skills and knowledge of our workforce and ensuring responsible stewardship of our natural resources.
Environment, Health and Safety
HI-Crush is committed to conducting operations in a safe, healthy and environmentally responsible manner. The Hi-Crush Employee Handbook’s Health, Safety, Security and Environment section states “It is Hi-Crush’s belief that the protection of human life has the highest priority in everything the organization does.” This philosophy is reflected in all health and safety policies and environmental programs where we strive not only to meet, but exceed, all applicable regulatory requirements. Our Health and Safety Management system mirrors OHSAS 18001 to minimize harm to people, equipment and the environment. Hi-Crush is also committed to preventing silicosis through the implementation of, and strict adherence to, our Silicosis Prevention Program (SPP) throughout our operations. SPP is administered by safety professionals throughout our operations and led by our Vice President of Safety and Health. Hi-Crush’s SPP contains the following elements:
- Management commitment to implementation
- Medical surveillance
- Dust exposure assessments
- Dust control
- Employee involvement
- Smoking cessation program and a smoke-free workplace policy
Our PropStream technology improves health and safety in delivery, handling and conveyance of proppant. The system meets or exceeds OSHA PEL regulations and significantly reduces personnel exposure to silica dust. Learn More
Hi-Crush’s Wisconsin mine and production facilities participate in the Wisconsin Department of Natural Resources’ Green Tier Program as a Tier 1 participant. Through this program, we commit to enhanced environmental protection and proactive outreach to our communities.
Environmental Management System
Hi-Crush’s Environmental Management System (EMS) is grounded in the ISO 14001 standards and led by the Director of Environmental Compliance and a team of environmental compliance specialists.
EMS reflects “CRUSH” principles:
We comply with all applicable laws and regulations and implement programs and procedures to assure compliance. Where we believe applicable laws and regulation are not adequate, we establish and meet higher standards to protect human health, safety and the environment.
We continuously look for ways to reduce impacts that could pose a risk to human health, safety or the environment. Identified feasible solutions or lessons learned are incorporated into our management systems and procedures to prevent or reduce the risk of any such impacts. Environmentally preferred and/or non-toxic materials are utilized whenever possible; such materials are researched continuously. By continually educating employees on EMS, we are able to utilize management systems and procedures to prevent emergencies. If an emergency does occur, we are prepared to respond effectively and efficiently.
U—Understanding responsibilities (knowledge and training)
Key factors in assuring compliance with EMS and applicable standards are employee training, aggressive performance objectives, performance reviews against those standards and incentivizing high-performing employees. The objectives of our EMS are at the forefront when conducting staff performance reviews to ensure employees understand our commitments and their roles in achieving environmental successes. We communicate our commitment to health, safety and environmental quality to employees, vendors and customers. We solicit those stakeholders’ input in identifying, implementing and meeting EMS goals and objectives.
We consider all environmental factors and full acquisition, use and disposal impacts when making planning, purchasing and operating decisions. We are committed to responsibly managing land we mine and reclaim, water, recycle and discharge, and minimizing any impacts on wildlife and other natural resources. Energy use is continuously evaluated so that we deliver products with the least amount of energy consumed and minimize any greenhouse gas emissions. Throughout operations, gas and electricity usage is continuously analyzed and assessed to increase efficiencies. The re-use and recycling of materials are investigated and implemented during every state of construction and operations.
H—Habitual (continuous) improvement
We continuously seek opportunities to improve adherence to these principles and periodically report progress to our stakeholders. We monitor environmental performance regularly through rigorous evaluations, and provide employees and stakeholders the opportunity to provide feedback on that performance. The improvement of EMS is not possible without their participation and support.
Through adherence to the CRUSH principles, we seek to minimize any negative impacts from our operations and identify and pursue opportunities to provide environmental benefits.
- At state and local levels, we engage in programs to establish, maintain and improve streams, lakes and wetlands, control erosion and protect wildlife. These efforts include protecting bats and turtles in Wisconsin, as well and the Dunes Sagebrush Lizard (DSL) in West Texas. To learn more about the measures we have taken to ensure our operations pose no threat to the DSL, please see our white paper and FAQ here.
- Hi-Crush facilities optimize water use in the sand washing process through retention and conservation practices. We recycle up to 90 percent of cleaning water, significantly reducing groundwater requirements.
- Low-impact mining minimizes our impact on the environment and surrounding communities. When Hi-Crush mining is concluded, a full reclamation program restores the site to the highest community and regulatory standards.
- We ensure facility air quality in compliance with the National Ambient Air Quality Standards. In addition, our robust waste and recycling program minimizes the amount of waste our facilities send to local landfills.
- Hi-Crush plays a critical role in reducing the carbon impact of electricity generation. Hi-Crush proppant is a necessary product used in hydraulic fracturing and natural gas production that is reducing U.S. reliance on coal and the carbon intensity of electricity generation.
It’s not only important to minimize any negative impacts, but also we must make positive contributions to local communities. We do this through direct financial contributions, hiring local talent, investing in the education and training of current and prospective employees in local schools and technical colleges, purchasing from local businesses, and supporting important local charities and civic organizations.
- We reduce the tax burden on local residents by often being one of, if not the largest payer of local property taxes in the communities where our mining operations are located. In 2017, we paid more than $2.27 million in property taxes in Wisconsin alone—48% of it going to local schools and technical colleges with the balance split between county and municipal and township governments.
- We recruit talent locally whenever possible. We advertise on local media, and HR team members participate in local job fairs. Our mines, terminal operations and last mile services are important generators of income for employees in rural areas of Texas, Wisconsin and other states. Hi-Crush also provides employees with competitive and generous benefits packages, including paying 100% of health insurance costs.
- We support local businesses by prioritizing local sourcing of goods and services.
- Hi-Crush is a proud partner in the Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics (STEM) programs in public schools. Our STEM program support not only increases student’s skills in these critical areas, but also helps build stronger communities as a result of students applying their skills to solve relevant community issues.
- Our HR team members visit area schools to provide career counseling services and assist local students in writing resumes and conducting mock interviews.
- Hi-Crush participates in the Workforce Advancement Training (WAT) programs of local technical colleges that train our employees in technical areas such as electromechanic maintenance, robotics and computer engineering, as well as providing instruction in project management and leadership.
- The Hi-Crush Industrial Electrician Apprenticeship Program provides advancement opportunities to our employees by partnering with our local technical colleges to teach practical and theoretical aspects of an industrial electrician job's, all tailored to our facilities, equipment and culture.
- Hi-Crush’s Leadership Development Program provides quarterly supervisor training for company managers.
- Hi-Crush supports a wide variety of local civic organizations and charities in our communities. Since 2013, Hi-Crush has donated more than $3.0 million to almost 100 different local organizations and charitable causes.
To request a donation for a local community project, organization or event, please contact email@example.com for an application form. Please note that we ask these be submitted a minimum of 30 days prior to the date the donation is needed. Priority areas for Hi-Crush support are safety, health and education.